4/23/09

Emily is...

Now, I am the first to admit I wasn't raised in the south and Emily Post wasn't exactly my childhood reading. I did read Machiavelli's, The Prince, though. Not quite the same thing, huh. Then the Lord saved me and began to sanctify me. One of the amazing things about how God manifested His grace toward me was that I didn't fight the Bible as I read through it for the first time. One such biblical teaching that I studied and accepted easily was the biblical teaching on the distinct roles for women in the home and the church (I Timothy 2, Ephesians 5). Now, I'm going to resist the temptation to get off on a rabbit trail articulating the boundaries and defending where I stand on the issue. Suffice to say that I fall into the complementarian camp, believing that men and women are equal in value, but distinct in role and function within the home and the church. If you'd like to know a little more of what this means, check out the True Woman Manifesto and the Danvers Statement.

Here's the thing, I came to understand the boundaries of what was biblically permissible and what was not. I made my list of what it meant to be a godly woman and checked each item off. However, it wasn't until the past couple years that the Lord has shown me that my list was insufficient. My list consisted of things I needed to avoid doing, but failed to recognize what I should be and do. I have to admit that it was a bit of a bummer to realize I didn't quite have that whole category figured out like I thought I did (go figure). As a result, the Lord has had me on a bit of a discovery mission to understand how to cultivate markers of godliness that I see in some of the women (younger and older) that I respect.

As a part of how the Lord started to work on me in this area, He brought a very dear friend into my life who has actually read Emily Post's books. She began to articulate how the social graces contribute to the development of godliness and can even help to avoid some seriously awkward situations (many of which I have caused at one time or another). As a result of many conversations and watching others interact, I've come to appreciate the social graces and am trying to practice much of that which does seem to cultivate gentleness and a quiet spirit.

Now, that's all well and good, but here's another complicating factor. I'm a nerd. I admit it. I love technology. There's no doubt in my mind that I am addicted to my Blackberry. I'll even go ahead and admit that I was once a proud member of the math team. Incidentally, it was a competing team, not a club, so do NOT try to call it the "math club." All this being true, it probably doesn't surprise you that I was an early subscriber to Facebook. And, people, I just have to tell you that some of the things people write and do on there amaze me. I mean, seriously, can you not think about who all is on your friend list before you post that status!?

I've often told the friend who introduced me to Emily Post that she should write a handbook for Facebook users and apply etiquette to the world of social networking. Well, it turns out that we were not the only ones who have recognized this need. I was absolutely delighted to discover a resource that I hope will be entertaining...and instructive! So, please. I beg you. If you are on Facebook, especially if you are my friend on Facebook, check out "How Not to be Hated on Facebook." Also, just because I'm blogging about my appreciation for the social graces doesn't mean that I always manage to manifest them. That's just a little disclaimer for the next time I do something super awkward. I don't want to have to feel like a hypocrite. Sanctification is a process!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP